vendredi 6 juillet 2007

Les U.S.A.: Au supermarche

The one thing that struck me when I went to the supermarket in the USA was how empty it was. It felt like there was a total of maybe 10 customers in there. Quite different from the crowd you will find at Carrefour.
You don't have to insert a coin in order to get a cart, and you don't have to put your groceries in a bag. The cashier, or an employee will do it for you.
Other than that, it's not that different. What is interesting is to see what products are available, and in what quantity they offer them. It tells you a little bit about the eating habits of the country. For example, Nutella is not as popular in America as it is in France. You can find it, but chances are there are not going to be 200 pots of Nutella on the shelves.
You can find a lot of bread, like sandwich bread. I find myself using it a lot here. While not a vegetarian, I've been trying to eat less meat lately, and making sandwiches is a good way to cut down on meat consumption. Sandwiches can actually be pretty tasty if you try to make them a little bit refined, like grilled with different kinds of cheeses and spices.
The soda section is huge, sadly.
The selection of vegetables is okay. Not amazing, but it covers the basic needs. It is fine with me.

The selection of nice cheeses is poor at the supermarket I go to, but it is definitely possible to find good cheeses in America. However, the prices are ridiculously high, so I don't buy it very often.
The wine section is similar. It is there, but I don't think it is worth it.
I am not too rigid when it comes to adapting to new food habits, so that's not a problem for me. I certainly enjoy French food, but I don't see the point of complaining about not being able to find my favorite Pelardons (very local goat cheese). When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I've heard a couple of ethnocentic Frenchmen ranting about how bad the food was in American supermarkets. Honestly, while I agree that the selection of fresh products is not as varied, I believe there is enough to cover my needs, and to cook healthy food.

Aucun commentaire: